You can say that again. K202 million invested even before the project's been approved. Land cleared and landowners bought and sold with trips to Mindanao, even before the project's had a public airing.
"We are here to protect the interest also of the people and will not just sit back and allow the financier to run the project"---except that the agreement mandates that Chinese companies get all the contracts. "[T]he main contractor and supplier would be from the sponsoring nation"---it couldn't be clearer.
"I would also like to correct the public perception that there may be an influx of people. ..We will make sure those who do come are genuine."
We in Madang are absolutely sure they will be genuine, Mr. Kapris.
Ive been working on a project with the World Bank and Dept of Communications, finding sites where mobile telephone towers won't be placed by Digicel or BeMobile but where communities will benefit from a govt tower. We've collected data from East Sepik and Simbu on the social impacts, good and bad, of mobile telephony and everywhere, it seems, women bear the heaviest price when things go wrong. They have the most to gain and the most to lose. What we need are radio awareness campaigns everywhere mobile phones plan to go. How to keep them safe, affordable and socially acceptable in a world where communication is power in all the right and wrong ways.
Pornographic text message sparks PNG violence
Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:15:00
Two people are dead after a pornographic text message sparked tribal
violence in Papua New Guinea's Southern Highlands.
The violence flared on Saturday when a young man from the Tapo clan in
Tari sent a pornographic text message to a woman in the Pipi clan.
The girl was offended and showed the image to her brother.
He gathered his clansmen and they attacked the Tapos with home-made
guns, bush knives and bows and arrows.
One man was killed in the clash.
Superintendant Jimmy Onopia says another man was pulled from a bus and
killed with an axe yesterday.
"Two people have died," he said.
"Several have been wounded. Several houses have been burnt down."
Superintendent Onopia says the situation is now calm and police are
helping to negotiate a peaceful resolution.
To view this story on our website, visit:
I am disturbed by the news that someone in PNG may be monitoring email traffic for NGOs. Messages with subject lines like 'mine' 'land registration' 'land mobilization' 'Kongkong' and 'Chinese' are being blocked. Blocked by an ISP in Papua New Guinea.
A couple of months ago I wrote a blog piece that got picked up in the Post-Courier called 'telling the right from wrong Kongkongs' about the several very different waves of Asians in PNG, from Chinese mianlanders who arrived 100 years ago, to Filipinnos ,to Singaporean Chinese to Malaysian timber workers. The point was to distinguish these waves and temper some of the alarming anti-Asian sentiment with historical fact. As a result, Alfredo 'Freddy' Hernandez of The National called for my deportation, the President of RH called me a racist, and people around me have been quizzed about my political agenda. I am a grandmother who lives in Madang: that's my agenda. One national politician told me I should watch myself because people seem to listen to me and I should be aware that 'knowledge is power.' [QED]. Last week two Chinese Triad members attempted to kill the President of the PNG-Chinese Business Association. Enough said.
Computerworld - The malware used to hack Google is so sophisticated that researchers brought in by the company to investigate believe the attack code was designed and launched with support from Chinese authorities.
According to Carlos Carrillo, a principal consultant for Mandiant, a Washington D.C.-based security incident response and forensics firm, the attack against Google last month was "definitely one of the most sophisticated attacks I've seen in the last few years."
Mandiant was called in by Google to look into the attack, and Carrillo was the project manager for the Google investigation. During an interview Friday, he frequently chose his words carefully, saying that there was much he couldn't discuss because the work was ongoing.
"The malware was unique," Carrillo said. "It had unique characteristics ... it was ... let's just say it was unique."
Other researchers who have examined the malware have also come away impressed. Thursday, Dmitri Alperovitch, vice president of threat research at McAfee, called the attack code "very sophisticated" and added, "We've never seen anything this good in the commercial space. In [attacks on] government, yes, but not commercial."
But what does that kind of expertise mean?
Carrillo is convinced that, given the sophistication of the code, it was produced with support from Chinese authorities. "This wasn't on the level of Metasploit," Carrillo said, referring to the open-source penetration testing framework whose exploits are often used by hackers to craft malware. "This wasn't something that a 16-year-old came up in his spare time."
When asked if the code quality pointed toward Chinese state support, Carrillo answered, "I would say so." He declined to elaborate.
Mandiant was called in to investigate the attack on Google "early in the process," said Carrillo, who refused to get more specific. McAfee's Alperovitch said that time stamps in the malware's command-and-control log files indicated the attacks began in mid-December and ended Jan. 4, when the hackers' servers were shut down.
In the announcement Tuesday that its corporate network had been hacked and intellectual property stolen, Google said the attacks had been discovered in mid-December. Google also said the attacker tried to access the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists, a move that -- along with increasing censorship of the Web by China's government -- has prompted it to reevaluate its business in the country.
Carrillo also provided additional information to the still-sketchy framework of the attack, saying that the exploit of a vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer was not the only vector used by the hackers. That seemed to back up Microsoft's assertion that the IE bug wasn't the sole cause of the break-ins.
And while the number of companies hit by the Chinese attacks have been reported as low as 20 to as high as 34, Carrillo said Mandiant's work indicated an even larger number may have been hit.
"Most of the time, companies find out [about such attacks] when they're contacted by third parties, like other companies or law enforcement," Carrillo said. "Until then, they're not aware they've been attacked. They don't have a clue."
But that's not a surprise in attacks like the ones that hit Google. "These [attackers] are very good at what they do," Carrillo said. "Without getting into details, their techniques allow them to masquerade as legitimate users, so traditional means of, for example, intrusion detection or antivirus security are for the most part ineffective."
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, send e-mail to email@example.com or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed
By ROSALYN EVARA
THE developers of the Ramu nickel project in Madang are planning an underwater blasting operation at Basamuk to clear the pipeline route for the dumping of mine waste.
This was revealed by Ramu NiCo (MCC) Limited after questions were put by the Post-Courier to them about reports that they were planning to blast two coral reefs off the coast at the refinery site.
Concerns had been raised with the Post-Courier about the nature and impact of the operations especially to the marine life in this once pristine sea area.
MCC in a one page statement admitted such an operation would be carried out “intermittent in February and March 2010 by a PNG licensed blaster”. The company said the blasting would be done in an area spanning 50m in length and 5m width, twice each operating day and that the blasting would be small scale as each blast would consume less than 10 kilograms of explosives.
It also stated that the impact of the operation would be minimal and that coral the area that would be blasted was dead.
Further that investigations had revealed the fish population in the 50 metre radius to be very small.
“In order to minimise the environmental impact of tailings disposal of the Ramu refinery at Basamuk, the neutralised tailings will be placed 150m undersea through the deep sea tailing placement system.
“The system includes two pipelines with diameter of 800mm which will be laid on sea floor. However during earlier investigations it was found that some dead coral reefs in the shallow sea are in the pipeline route.
“To ensure the safe operation of the pipelines those dead coral reefs must be removed. blasting operation will be used as it is technically impossible to remove the dead reefs in the sea waters by mechanical equipment,” the statement read. The statement from the company also read that the design and construction of the DSTP facilities from Ramu had been approved by the DEC and MRA and that the company had been updating DEC and MRA on the progress including the implementation plans.
It also read that an American-Canadian joint venture contractor with vast experience in the engineering, procurement and construction of submarine tailing disposal facilities for international resources projects, had been contracted to implement the Ramu DSTP. Nonetheless as the project manager, Ramu NiCo will continue to work closely with all stakeholders to ensure Ramu DSTP will be built in accordance with high industrial standards and best available practice.
The Provincial Mines Director John Bivi, when contacted regarding the planned operations, said he was not aware such an operation would be carried out and said it was the first time he was hearing about it.
Mr Bivi said his office was not in a position to make any comments as he not only lacked the scientific know-how but also did not have the copy of the company’s environmental plan.
Working on a communications project for the national government, traveling through East Sepik and
The country with the weakest infrastructure and least government services was texting and tweeting its own network of alternative emergency services. Crackling away through that awful cloud of dust that blanketed the city just after the first quake, the Haitians slowly recreated their own non-governmental resourcefulness and reached out beyond their island to sympathetic ears. After watching this on CNN, and seeing a Port au Prince Digicel storefront covered in ash--- all the reservations our team had had, accumulated from visits to Drekikir in East Sepik and Karamui in Simbu, over the misunderstandings of mobile telephony---the missed calls, wasted monies, ‘gas fire’ fake phonecalls, and domestic strife over mobile phones that newly-connected remote communities are likely to face---all of these doubts were dashed. If you can shed all the time wasted, money spent and aggravation suffered for lack of communication in bringing goods to market, patients to doctors, students to school, and families together, then the pro’s pretty much outweigh the cons anyway. But when you see a child calling into a mobile phone under a pile of rubble in Part au Prince, and images of mothers and aunties lost and now found over facebook, then the argument is not worth having.
I can only think back to the Aitape tsunami, when we first heard from a nun over the radio as she witnessed the wave crash, and the highlands la nina drought that only got worse when people started burning off their gardens to hunt small rodents when the relief aid never arrived. One phone call here, one text message there, would surely have saved lives.
Finally, I want to thank Pat Robertson for clearing up some of the great mysteries of
Televangelist Pat Robertson said Wednesday that earthquake-ravaged
"Something happened a long time ago in
Robertson said that "ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other" and he contrasted
Later that evening, Raymond Joseph, Haitian Ambassador to the
THE BOROWITZ REPORT - Just hours after saying that God was punishing
Rev. Robertson said that he had heard the report of the earthquake on the radio and had misinterpreted its location: "For the life of me, I thought God was punishing Hades, which does in fact have a pact with the Devil."
Apologizing for his "goof," the televangelist told his TV audience, "Golly - people must've thought I was being an insensitive asshole."
Kats mulai, Henry Kila. We’ll miss you.
How to pay tribute to Henry Kila, one of the funniest men Ive ever met? A man whose timing was impeccable: he could make the silliest joke witty.
I remember sitting in the back of the DWU auditorium with him and Mel Togolo for one of the Australian-PNG Business council sessions this year, all of us giggling too much for our own good. Still, I couldn't move away, Henry was being too funny. When a member of the Education Department too the stage I gasped in admiration of his big soft afro. "Where's he from Henry?""
I’m not sure, but I think this is the last joke I heard him tell:
Mugabe, Somare and Mandela are all tumbling to the ground after a mid-air collision. Everyone takes out their cel phone. Mandela starts dialing up St Peter to be cleared through the Pearly Gates. But the phone keeps ringing and ringing off the hook. Mugabe tries now, but he only gets a busy signal. So Somare dials a number and gets through right away. "How'd you do that? they ask. "Hey, for me," Somare says, "its only a local call.""
Fate got the last laugh, killing Henry with malaria when he was so young (55!), so fit, so well-loved, so accomplished. Im still trying to ring St Peter, to see if he got through---No: to be sure he got through.